From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] interconnecting speeds
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:03:09
1 On 7/24/06, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 24 July 2006 18:09, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 > > On 7/24/06, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > I am copying files from my gentoo box to an xp box and it is so slow. I
5 > > > have both boxes connected with cable via a router, which connects to my
6 > > > broadband isp.
7 > > > When downloading from the internet to either box I get fast speeds in the
8 > > > 100's of MBs. However transferring box to box I only get about 1MBs.
9 > > > Are there any setting I should look at to enable faster transfers?
10 > >
11 > > What software are you using (client x server)? What is the method of
12 > > transfer (HTTP, FTP, SFTP, NFS, SAMBA)? Sorry, but your message say
13 > > almost nothing, and makes it quite hard to help.
14 > >
15 > Sorry, I am using samba and kde and am copying files from a directory on the
16 > gentoo box to smb://<my xp box>/my directory using konqueror.
17 > What other information can I supply?
18
19 Do you have any antivirus running that could be scanning all the files
20 transfered? I cannot think of another reason for such a difference
21 between your LAN and Internet transfer speeds. Try another protocol
22 (HTTP, FTP) and check speed, if its still slow, its probably something
23 on your XP box, if its fast, then you can check samba configuration.
24
25 Anyway, disable any antivirus/firewall and try again.
28 Daniel da Veiga
29 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list