From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: checking whether the C compiler works... no Oooops !!
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 10:19:09
1 > /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.4/cc1: error while loading shared
2 > libraries: libmpfr.so.1: cannot open shared object file
3 >
4 > Meaning, run revdep-rebuild :)
5
6 Yeah, right. So revdep-rebuild does its thing, finds out that gcc is
7 broken and tries to rebuild it with the broken gcc :)
8
9 In this case the only way out involves backups or binary packages, or
10 doing a binary build of the old mpfr version on another machine with
11 CFLAGS compatible to those in use on the target.
12
13 What's strange however, is that AFAIK in order to avoid this kind of
14 breakage system ebuilds such as mpfr never delete old library versions;
15 they just print a warning saying that the old library has been kept
16 around and should be manually deleted after running revdep-rebuild.
17
18 On all my sytems the transition to dev-libs/mpfr-3 was handled this way;
19 note that I am still using portage 2.1, so this has nothing to do with
20 the "preserve" feature in 2.2.
21
22 andrea