From: Nils Holland <nholland@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SMART drive test results, 2.0 for same drive as before.
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 17:54:38
1 On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 11:29:53AM -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Well, I have dd'd the thing a few times and ran the tests again, it
4 > still gives errors. What's odd, they seem to move around. Is there a
5 > bug crawling around in my drive?? lol
6 >
7 > # 1 Extended offline Completed: read failure 40%
8 > 21500 4032048552
9 >
10 > #12 Extended offline Completed: read failure 40%
11 > 21406 4032272464
12
13 Well, the location of the first unreadable error is before the
14 location of the second one, so it's entirely possible that the drive
15 was eventually able to read the first bad sector and subsequently
16 remapped it to a sparse sector. Of, depending on what other actions
17 may have been done to the drive between the two tests shown, a write
18 may have been done to the sector, which would also result immediately
19 in a sparse sector being taken if the original sector looks
20 "suspicious" to the drive.
21
22 All of that should - at least a little bit of it - be visible by
23 looking at the other smart statictics. The reallocated sector count
24 would have gone up in such a case, and the number of currently pending
25 sectors could have gone down. Still, even though the first bad sector
26 might have been appropriately dealt with, there's obviously more wrong
27 with the drive, as the second test shows.
28
29 Personally, with the relatively low hard disk prices of recent years,
30 I've always started distrusting drives as soon as they began showing
31 bad / remapped sectors and failing self-tests, even though they still
32 reported their own SMART status as fine. More times than not, just
33 completely zeroing out a drive will fix the then-known bad sectors, as
34 it triggers the drive's firmware to remap them, but in my experience a
35 drive that started developing a few bad sectors will soon develop more
36 of the same. So at least in environments dealing with important data,
37 I'd quickly exchange such a drive and probably only continue to use it
38 for less important stuff, like transferring data from one machine to
39 another, where the failure of the transpoting drive would be harmless,
40 as the data could at any time be gotten again from the original
41 machine carrying it.
42
43 Greetings,
44 Nils