From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Boot Gentoo - by hand - line-by-line - command-by-command?
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 00:06:52
1 Hi,
2 I'm curious if there's a way to capture the exact set of command
3 that my machine executes as it boots up. I.e. - if I boot the machine,
4 letting the boot loader find the kernel but then stopping at a bash
5 prompt, before anything much has been done, I'd then like to know what
6 set of commands I could use from that bash prompt to make the machine
7 do whatever it does normally as it boots up.
8
9 Is that possible, and is it documented anywhere? Or instead of
10 capturing commands maybe just a list of things that happen and the
11 bash commands I'd use to execute them myself.
12
13 I think the init scripts, at least the ones I've found under
14 runlevels, are more generic than I would like to run. I'm looking for
15 something more like the portion of the install guide where we chroot
16 into the new build, except executing that from the command line of a
17 new machine that's booted. I.e.:
18
19 mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
20 mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
21 mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
22
23 except modified to start from nothing and bring the machine up from
24 scratch. Mount /proc, mount /dev, start udev, check root filesystem,
25 etc.
26
27 This is totally for self-education and nothing else really. Just
28 curious about how it happens, what order things happen, etc. If anyone
29 can recommend a good _basic_ book that talks about this I'd appreciate
30 it.
31
32 Thanks,
33 Mark