From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happened to my emerge -u?
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 21:12:25
1 On 11/10/2020 21:55, n952162 wrote:
2 >
3 > I ran into this:
4 >
5 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1108636-start-0.html
6 >
7 > but I really don't understand anything about these alternative
8 > instruction sets and would think my CPU is pretty vanilla.
9 >
10 > I mean, I hope to avoid trail-and-error approaches to solving this ...
13 My first reaction was "have you specified x86 in make.conf?". As others
14 have said, you need to make sure it's either x86_64, or AMD64, whatever
15 is appropriate.
16
17 I think SSE2 first appeared about the end of the Pentium era (if not
18 earlier), so any half-way-modern cpu will have it.
19
20 Dunno whether these musings will be any help, but we'll see ...
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol