From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge and CPU core usage
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 09:22:05
1 On Monday, 9 December 2019 06:31:08 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > As some may recall, I upgraded my rig to a 8 core CPU, expanded memory,
5 > added a hard drive etc etc a while back. All of which made things a bit
6 > faster. Each core isn't that much faster but the extra cores certainly
7 > help in most cases. It is a noticeable improvement. There's one thing
8 > tho that it just doesn't help much on. That thing is the emerge command
9 > itself. When I run emerge, based on gkrellm etc, it always uses one
10 > core and that's it. As one knows, emerge can take a while trying to
11 > figure out the best way to upgrade, especially when something is causing
12 > a road block and requires a detour. Will portage ever be able to use
13 > more than one core? I'd suspect that if it could use all available
14 > cores, it would speed things up quite a bit. It may not be 8 times
15 > faster in my case but even 4 times faster would be nice, more even
16 > better. Others that have more cores/threads/whatever could see a even
17 > larger speed increase.
18 >
19 > I'm sure trying to get portage to do things in parallel would be a
20 > programmers nightmare. It may not even be doable given how the tree is
21 > done or that the complexity of calculating all the options is just to
22 > much to run in parallel. Still, does anyone think it will be possible
23 > at some point? Anyone else think it would be as awesome as I do?
24 > Anyone know if it is something that is being worked on? I think I read
25 > on -dev once long ago about this but can't recall details and I'm not
26 > aware of any movement in that direction. I haven't seen any mention of
27 > it in a long while now.
28
29 Portage does indeed run as many emerge jobs as you have cores, if you let it,
30 but not the calculation of dependencies. That, as you say, cannot be divided
31 into pieces to give to separate cores, and I'm sure it never will be. Pity,
32 because on a slow machine like my 32-bit Atom box, it takes ages.
35 Regards,
36 Peter.