From: Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should I re-emerge after switching to new gcc profile?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:17:49
1 On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi folks,
5 >>
6 >> I had rough times upgrading my gcc. Finally, I did this:
7 >>
8 >> 1. Upgrade gcc in a chroot
9 >> 2. Use quickpkg gcc to create binary package (inside chroot)
10 >> 3. Use emerge -K  to install the created package
11 >>
12 >> I read it here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-782003-start-0.html.
13 >>
14 >> I must say WOW, gentoo continues to amaze me.
15 >>
16 >> Now, the question is:
17 >> Do I need to re-emerge something due to having new gcc?
18 >> I'm pretty sure not, but just wanted to ask.
19 >>
20 >> (Sorry for being so slow: I learn Basic as my first language
21 >> and Dijkstra says I'm mentally mutilated [1])
22 >>
23 >> Thanks,
24 >> Ezequiel.
25 >>
26 >> [1] http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/ewd498.html
29 > Hi,
30 >
31 > After upgrading GCC this is what I do:
32 >
33 > Use gcc-config to set new version active
34 > source /etc/profile
35 > emerge --oneshot libtool
36 >
37 > Usually that's all that is required.
40 I'll do that, thank you.
41
42 One more thing: after upgrading gcc to 4.7.0, I had to upgrade dev-libs/gmp.
43 I'm still working on it, though.
44
45 Hope this is usefule to someone,
46 Ezequiel.