From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Merging separate /usr back into / - one last time...
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 14:02:57
1 Hi all,
2
3 This was discussed within a couple of threads in the last few months,
4 but I wanted to ask for final clarification before I go ahead with this
5 (yeah, I know, 'paranoia will destroy ya')...
6
7 I'm not afraid of an initramfs any more, but I've decided that I still
8 just really don't want one, so I'm looking for the safest & simplest way
9 to merge my separate /usr back into /.
10
11 The only thing I'm really unsure of is the optimal method and exact
12 syntax (ie, trailing slashes? arguments?) for the actual copy of /usr.
13
14 Is rsync -a enough for my relatively simple system setup, or would using
15 any or all of the other options suggested in those threads be
16 safer/better? Specifically:
17
18 -a, or -axAHX, or -apogXx, or -PvasHAX
19
20 or should I go with a combined -apogsvxAHPX ?
21
22 So, here's the plan, please check me...
23
24 1. Boot off of the latest gentoo LiveDVD
25
26 2. Mount / and create new /usr directory
27
28 mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo/
29 mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr
30
31 3. Mount old /usr to be moved/merged
32
33 vgscan
34 vgchange -a y
35 mount /dev/vg/usr /mnt/gentoo/oldusr
36
37 4. Copy /oldusr to /usr
38
39 rsync -a? /mnt/gentoo/oldusr/ /mnt/gentoo/usr/
40
41 Are the trailing slashes required/important/necessary?
42
43 Which arguments should I use?
44
45 5. Edit /etc/fstab and comment/remove the /usr line
46
47 nano -wc /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab
48
49 #/dev/vg/usr /usr reiserfs noatime 0 0
50
51 6. Unmount mounted filesystems
52
53 umount /mnt/gentoo/oldusr
54 umount /mnt/gentoo
55
56 7. Reboot into new system
57
58 Done?
59
60 I'm pretty sure that:
61
62 1. There is no need to chroot into the real system during this process,
63
64 and
65
66 2. I only need to mount / and the old /usr, no need to mount anything
67 else (/proc, /sys, /var, /home, activating swap, etc)
68
69 Correct?
70
71 Thanks