From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: default stage3 (was : [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:31:16
1 Actually, as someone who uses wireless across a number of nets, wireless
2 on gentoo sucks hugely.
3
4 Was at a presentation the other day and saw an Ubutu user just walk in,
5 a couple of quick commands and he had connected - after much work I
6 still cant do that to a particular no-encryption net. I am hoping the
7 last wpa_supplicant version I have installed will make the difference -
8 manual iwconfig does work by the way, just not via the gentoo files!
9
10 A mess of config files
11 (/etc/conf.d/wireless, /etc/conf.d/net, /etc/wpa_supplicant, ...),
12 different versions of software work in only some combinations - only
13 0.4.5 (~x86) will work with 2.6.14, some other versions will do WPA_PSK,
14 but not no encryption.- - I suspect the gentoo config design is the main
15 stumbling block.
16
17 I realise wireless is complicated (read the above files for instance,
18 but gentoo has complicated things further (try and work out which of the
19 above files a particular variable will work ... note that for
20 wpa_supplicant, not all permutations are listed in the otherwise
21 comprehensive instructions)
22
23 BillK