From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing compilers
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:41:12
1 Am 19.03.2012 15:11, schrieb Andrew Lowe:
2 > On 03/19/12 17:39, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 19/03/12 07:26, Andrew Lowe wrote:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>> Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on
6 > [snip]
7 > ...
8 > ...
9 > [snip]
10 >>
11 >> You don't need to "change" compilers. You can use whatever one you like
12 >> to build your program. The compiler portage uses to build its packages
13 >> does not affect your own usage of the others.
14 >>
15 >> As for the fastest one, I can only speak for Intel CPUs where Intel C++
16 >> gives me the fastest binaries.
20 > Nikos,
21 > Your experience with Intel is what I'm after. Aster, the FEA code I'm
22 > going to use is not in Portage hence I will be using it's own build
23 > system. When you've used Intel, have you just exported "CC="icc" or
24 > something similar, as make.conf won't be used? Also, I've read somewhere
25 > that there are libraries that you have to link against that are specific
26 > to the Intel compiler as it does not create libraries that are
27 > comparable with the gcc produced ones - is this true or does the
28 > compiler now "play well" with the gcc world?
29 >
30 > Any thoughts,
31 >
32 > Andrew