From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Suspend to swap on a diskless host
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:06:08
1 I know this is a long shot, and not many people run diskless hosts. I
2 have one with kind of a loud fan that uses a lot of energy - it's a
3 pentium 4 in a slimline case and it runs pretty hot, so I can't adjust
4 the fan speed based on temperature, because it seems like turning the
5 fan off at 70+ degrees C is a bad idea.
6
7 Instead, I'd like to be able to suspend to ram or swap so that the
8 fans can stop spinning and the cpu can cool down -- all in one fell
9 swoop! -- but I've had troubles doing so. While working on that, I
10 was thinking I might have better luck if the kernel was allowed to
11 restart itself. I would like to set up swsuspend on the machine, but
12 I'm a little unclear as to how I would do so.
13
14 I know swapon doesn't work on regular files, so to add my swap I need
15 to first use losetup to set up /dev/loop0 as my swap device. Then
16 swapon /dev/loop0 works. but how can I enable swap on loop0 before the
17 initscripts boot (right now I have it done in local.start). Don't I
18 need to be able to mount the swap as swap right away to resume from
19 it? Or will it be enought to specify the location? If not, is there
20 some way to specify loop settings at boot time, on the kernel command
21 line?
22
23 Thanks for any help you might be able to provide,
24
25 Dan Farrell
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list