From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server-1.5 update/old kernel+old fglrx
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:47:06
1 On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:42:11 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > > You can tell before you perform the update that the old version is no
4 > > longer in portage,
5 >
6 > How? I run eix-sync and at that point it's no longer in
7 > /usr/portage/distfiles.
8
9 AFAIK, eix-sync doesn't touch $DISTDIR. If it does, that's a very good
10 reason to not use it.
11
12 > Am I supposed to study what eix-sync is going
13 > to do before it does it for the 800 or so packages that are on my
14 > system? Fat chance anyone does that on a regular and thorough basis.
15 >
16 > Or do you mean let eix-sync happen, then study emerge -pvDuN and
17 > somehow determine that it's going to delete one out of 100 packages
18 > that it's going to update?
19
20 How often do you update? I have myth front and backends, running mostly
21 stable and I doubt they get that many updates a year.
22
23 Gentoo gives you responsibility for maintaining your machines. You don't
24 get to hand that back. emerge -avuDN does exactlky what you tell it to
25 do, whether that's what you wanted or not, it is your responsibility to
26 ensure that the two match.
27
28 > > then you can copy the ebuild from /var/db/pkg to your
29 > > overlay (and run quickpkg for speed) before updating. Remember that
30 > > nothing is ever truly removed from portage, it is still in the CVS
31 > > attic,
32 > >
33 > > What would be handy would be a script that you run after you sync. If
34 > > a package you have installed is no longer in the tree, it copies the
35 > > ebuild to an overlay.
36 >
37 > Ebuild and the source code package also?
38
39 The source code is still in $DISTDIR, still on the upstream server
40 and probably still on the mirrors for a while.
41
42 > (Sarcastically) What's an 'personal' overlay? You don't need one to
43 > install Gentoo. You don't seem to need one until it's too late and you
44 > have to somehow create it and deal with this after it's become a
45 > problem.
46
47 Creating and setting up your own overlay is as complex as copying one
48 line from make.conf.example to make.conf.
49
50 > My problem was I'm already toast at the dinner table tonight.
51 > I told the family that the machine doesn't work anymore and now it's
52 > not clear I'm allowed to sleep here anymore. Hard to build an overlay
53 > if I'm locked out.
54
55 What, no SSH? ;-)
56
57 > A different short-term solution might be to find another old junker
58 > machine that is supported, building it out of junker parts. This would
59 > be good if I had any certainty that when the work was completed
60 > portage wouldn't immediately create the same havok.
61
62 Your real problem is that you are using outdated and unsupported
63 hardware. Not unsupported by Gentoo but unsupported by ATI. Incidentally,
64 have you filed a bug report about this, if the only available driver for
65 your hardware has been removed from portage, you should post a bug asking
66 it to be reinstated.
70 Neil Bothwick
71
72 "I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away"