From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 10:21:41
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 06/24/2011 01:16 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >>> On Wednesday 22 June 2011 17:23:44 Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> When I removed the fortran flag it didn't change anything because (I
7 >>>> suppose) the KDE profile has included it as a default.
8 >>> So it seems. I've just tried "USE=-fortran emerge -upDvN world" and
9 >>> the only
10 >>> thing that would be remerged because of fortran is gcc. So I'm going
11 >>> to put
12 >>> -fortran into make.conf and see what breaks.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> It will break several things. This is what I just went through. It
16 >> appears that if you emerge kde-meta, you have to have a fortran type
17 >> compiler. So, you may as well keep what you got if it is working. When I
18 >> started going down this road, I thought I could just disable fortran and
19 >> have less packages installed. That is not the case. I removed fortran
20 >> then had to replace that with even more packages than I had to begin
21 >> with.
22 >>
23 >> If it works with fortran turned on, I'd leave it alone. With hindsight,
24 >> I should have left well enough alone anyway. It wasn't hurting a thing.
25 >> Watch the elog messages. It will tell you at some point to either enable
26 >> fortran or emerge some other package that I forget the name of. That one
27 >> package pulled several dependencies on my rig. YMMV.
28 >
29 > Well, as I said in another post, I do have -fortan in my make.conf and
30 > there are no problems. I do not have programs installed that need a
31 > fortran compiler. And I do not have kde-meta installed; that's a
32 > waste of resources. I only install what I actually need.
35 I seem to recall you having -fortran all the time tho. It's the change
36 that breaks things. I mentioned it in case he is using kde-meta since
37 it should pull in the same packages as on mine. If that is so, he will
38 end up with broken stuff and will need to fix them.
39
40 This is one of those situations where it depends on what you have
41 installed and if you are changing something. This doesn't apply to
42 everyone just those have not had -fortran set before and installed kde-meta.
43
44 This may not apply to you but it may apply to others.
45
46 Dale
47