From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what about dracut and systemd?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 14:53:29
1 On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 09:53:18 -0400,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM, John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 09:07:03 -0400,
6 > > Rich Freeman wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 10:58 PM, John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
9 > >> >
10 > >> > Well, clone-depth = 0 gave me a syntax error
11 > >>
12 > >> Can you provide the entire contents of your repos.conf, and the error
13 > >> it gives you?
14 > >>
15 > >> I wouldn't use a manual checkout for /usr/portage. You can of course
16 > >> do a checkout elsewhere but your permissions will probably get messed
17 > >> up if you checkout /usr/portage by hand.
18 > >
19 > > Well, I don't have the error message anymore and I did what I thought
20 > > you suggested -- beffore I got your last message -- I just did a git
21 > > clone of the repository to /usr/portage and the only unusual thing was
22 > > the first time I ran portage, it did its global updates and it seems
23 > > to be working.
26 > Well, if your repos.conf still says to use rsync then you can't use
27 > clone-depth in it, since that doesn't work with rsync. It might also
28 > mean that you now have files owned by root in /usr/portage which an
29 > emerge --sync is going to have trouble dealing with, since it runs
30 > with reduced permissions. It isn't a big deal - just get repos.conf
31 > the way you want it (either with git or rsync), delete /usr/portage,
32 > and let an emerge --sync re-create it.
33 >
34 > If you want to do a git clone I'd do it someplace other than /usr/portage.
35 >
36 > You really have a few options here:
37 >
38 > 1. If you look at history all the time just set up /usr/portage to be
39 > a git repository with clone-depth=0. Make sure you use the repository
40 > I linked which has metadata pre-generated - if you sync from the
41 > official Gentoo repo you'll have to rebuild the metadata all the time.
42 > Plus the mirror I linked also has QA checks so that when a developer
43 > breaks something it just won't update until somebody fixes it, which
44 > will save you some grief (maybe 1-2x a year it ends up being a few
45 > days stale).
46 >
47 > 2. If you almost never look at history and you care about disk space
48 > then either use rsync or sync with clone-depth=1 to minimize the size
49 > of /usr/portage, and then do a temporary git clone when you really
50 > need it, or browse history online.
51 >
52 > Personally I do #1. I have full history, and it syncs a lot faster
53 > than rsync. Git is smarter about syncing since it knows about history
54 > and thus what has changed. However, it has to send all the commits
55 > in-between your current and target state. If you only sync once a
56 > month it might be faster to use rsync, since rsync only sends the
57 > final version, and not every intermediate one, so files that were both
58 > added and removed in the interim don't get sent. However, rsync
59 > doesn't know anything about history and has to scan the entire tree to
60 > figure out what has changed.
61 >
62 > Oh, if /usr/portage is a git repository refrain from editing anything
63 > in it unless you know what you're doing. With rsync portage will just
64 > overwrite anything you mess with on the next sync. With git it will
65 > try to keep those changes around, and it might result in the tree not
66 > syncing if things conflict. If you're messing with a file for testing
67 > purposes you need to remember to reset/clean when you're done.
70 > --
71 > Rich
72
73 Thanks. clone-depth seems not to be available, so I amnot sure whats
74 best here. I thinkI like the history, so I will see how to do a git
75 clone. I do havethe type as git in the gentoo.conf, but I don't know
76 what happened to clone-depth -- its not in the portage man page.
77
78 Thanks again -- this has beeninstructive for me.
82 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
83 How do
84 you spend it?
85
86 John Covici