From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:24:43
1 On 20/02/2014 13:53, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
2 > I don't need such 'solutions' to non-existent problems. But if there
3 > were a *real* necessity to pretty-print a log's tail in service status,
4 > I think it would have been a matter of a proper setup (i.e. the service
5 > using syslog, hence a defined log format) and not a heck more complicated.
6 >
7 >> Definetly not a 5-minutes job.
8 >
9 > 5 minutes is even too much to type sort of
10 > tail -${LINES} ${SERVICE}.log
11 > if you know where to look up LINES and SERVICE.
14 You've never actually tried this, right?
15
16 Your idea instantly fails as the rc-service author has no idea of what
17 you defined ${SERVICE} to be and no way to determine what it is now.
18
19 How are you going to deal with the situation with a big busy daemon that
20 immediately starts serving requests when started (i.e. with very little
21 delay)?
22
23 By the time grep, sed, awk and friends have gotten around to making
24 their way through a log file of varying size, the entries that apply to
25 restart can easy be many hundreds of log lines prior.
26
27 I have done this, and it does not work. I got a result and it's
28 relaible, but you don't want to know what it took. It's also highly
29 customized and useless to anything other than my highly customized setup.
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com