From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xen on new install reboots by itself
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:48:23
1 On Thursday, April 16, 2015 06:38:08 PM symack wrote:
2 > Hello Everyone,
3 >
4 > Sorry for the delayed response. Flased the bios to the latest version 1.1.7
5 > dated 2007.
6 > Bellow is xen kernel built features:
7 >
8 > CONFIG_XEN=y
9 > CONFIG_XEN_DOM0=y
10 > CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM=y
11 > CONFIG_XEN_MAX_DOMAIN_MEMORY=500
12 > CONFIG_XEN_SAVE_RESTORE=y
13 > # CONFIG_XEN_DEBUG_FS is not set
14 > # CONFIG_XEN_PVH is not set
15 > CONFIG_PCI_XEN=y
16 > CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_FRONTEND=y
17 > CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
18 > CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=y
19 > CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=y
20 > CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=y
21 > CONFIG_INPUT_XEN_KBDDEV_FRONTEND=y
22 > CONFIG_HVC_XEN=y
23 > CONFIG_HVC_XEN_FRONTEND=y
24 > # CONFIG_XEN_WDT is not set
25 > CONFIG_XEN_FBDEV_FRONTEND=y
26 > # Xen driver support
27 > CONFIG_XEN_BALLOON=y
28 > CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y
29 > CONFIG_XEN_DEV_EVTCHN=y
30 > CONFIG_XEN_BACKEND=y
31 > CONFIG_XENFS=y
32 > CONFIG_XEN_COMPAT_XENFS=y
33 > CONFIG_XEN_SYS_HYPERVISOR=y
34 > CONFIG_XEN_XENBUS_FRONTEND=y
35 > CONFIG_XEN_GNTDEV=y
36 > CONFIG_XEN_GRANT_DEV_ALLOC=y
37 > CONFIG_SWIOTLB_XEN=y
38 > CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=y
39 > CONFIG_XEN_PRIVCMD=y
40 > CONFIG_XEN_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
41 > # CONFIG_XEN_MCE_LOG is not set
42 > CONFIG_XEN_HAVE_PVMMU=y
43
44 Looks ok.
45
46 > The machine is still rebooting when booting in the Xen built kernel. I know
47 > these machines have a thing
48 > called VRM (Voltage Regulator Module). This module is needed for dual cpu
49 > configurations. The machine
50 > has only on CPU and so no VRM. I read somewhere there was a issue with VRM
51 > equipped machine.
52
53 Hmm.... can't help you with this.
54 I only have one machine with 2 CPU-sockets and both are filled with a real CPU.
55
56 But, have a read through:
57 http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-12/msg00710.html
58
59 Maybe the VRM you have is dodgy, or maybe you need to disable APIC like the
60 person in the above email.
61
62 > Your help is greatly appreciate as I am stumped over this.
63 >
64 > Nick.
65 > ​
66
67 Which bootloader do you use?
68 Please provide the boot-line/command-line options you use for Xen and the
69 kernel.
70
71 My grub.conf looks like:
72 ********
73 title Xen + Gentoo Linux 3.16.5 - Xen auto-starting
74
75 root (hd0,1)
76
77 kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=4GB,max:4G console=vga dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin
78
79 module /kernel-3.16.5-gentoo dolvm root=/dev/vg_artemis_system/artemis_root
80 rootfstype=ext4 softlevel=xen
81
82 module /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.16.5-gentoo
84
85 ignore the "softlevel=xen" part.
86 I have a xen-bootlevel with loading of all Xen domains (VMs) enabled.
89 Joost