From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Sound not sounding
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 08:49:24
1 On Friday, 25 March 2022 00:07:30 GMT Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 23/03/2022 18:50, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > The USB sound dongle on this workstation has stopped working, but only for
4 > > me. The system settings Audio setup window detects it but no sound is
5 > > heard
6 > Run "alsamixer" (it's a command-line tool) and in the text UI that
7 > appears, press F6, select your USB audio device, and then check if it's
8 > muted or the volume is 0.
9
10 No alsamixer here, so I installed alsa-utils and did as you suggest. All seems
11 fine: volume at full, muting off.
12
13 > PulseAudio generally uses the ALSA sound mixer to change volumes, but
14 > not always. For some devices, it uses a software volume control that
15 > doesn't use the ALSA volume controls. So if those are set to 0, there
16 > will never be any sound.
17
18 There was sound just fine until one day last week. I'm not aware of any change
19 by which I could have affected sound - just routine daily upgrades and ordinary
20 use of the system.
23 Regards,
24 Peter.