From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PHP 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 14:46:59
1 You can have more than one
2 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > On 02/01/2014 14:46, Tanstaafl wrote:
6 > >> Hi all,
7 > >>
8 > >> I have a VM running in the cloud that has an old web/php app (10+ years
9 > >> old, believe it or not), that still runs fine on apache 2.2.25, but I
10 > >> pinned php to 5.3 some time ago.
11 > >>
12 > >> Does anyone see any big potential gotchas (major changes) with php 5.4,
13 > >> or even 5.5, if I were to upgrade it?
14 >
15 > > Impossible to say without seeing your php code. Potentially there are
16 > > many changes.
17 > >
18 > > You'd be better off doing the heavy lifting yourself first:
19 > >
20 > > 1. read all the changelogs
21 > > 2. run it in a staging vm with php5.5 and see what happens
22 >
23 > Actually, I was just thinking of doing #2 on the dev server (no dev
24 > going on, but I had this set up some time ago when we moved the
25 > production server to linode, so now at least I can test things without
26 > breaking the production system), and if it breaks, just downgrade back
27 > to 5.3...
28 >
29 > That assumes, of course...
30 >
31 > Is php difficult to downgrade after an upgrade?
32 You can have more than one version of php at a time, now. See the
33 portage news items for details. You will need PHP_TARGETS variable to
34 decide which ones you want to work with.
38 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
39 How do
40 you spend it?
41
42 John Covici