From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing outside of Portage & cruft removal
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:29:53
1 On 26 Jan 2009, at 22:51, Grant wrote:
2 > ...
3 > So for example, miro needs xine to play videos. If I ./configure miro
4 > with --prefix=/usr/local, it will install to /usr/local/miro or
5 > similar?
6
7 Yes. Read the configure options for the app you're installing. It
8 might also have a --libprefix or similar that you need to change, too.
9
10 > Then I would need to point it to xine and possibly others
11 > since it wasn't configured like --prefix=/ ?
12
13 Usually the configure scripts should find stuff installed in the main
14 part of the system.
15
16 > Is all this done as root?
17
18 `./configure && make` as user, `make install` as root (sudo?).
19
20 >> ... in any case
21 >> save the source tree for further refference, or just to be able to
22 >> make
23 >> uninstall.
24 >
25 > Couldn't I just uninstall with 'rm -rf /usr/local/miro' ?
26
27 I don't know about miro, but often foo will install not install a
28 directory /usr/local/foo but instead files /usr/local/food & /usr/
29 local/foobar. These will get "intermingled" with files /usr/local/bard
30 & /usr/local/barfoo, so `make uninstall` is used to uninstall the
31 files cleanly.
32
33 I believe that configure scripts for some programs (e.g. mplayer?) may
34 also sometimes install config files in /etc - I think `make uninstall`
35 will remove these, but I get the impression from your earlier posts
36 that you may find this undesirable.
37
38 Nevertheless, it is worth experimenting with compiling by hand using
39 this method - I would consider it an essential Linux skill and it will
40 give you an insight into things around which Portage is merely a
41 wrapper.
42
43 Stroller.