From: Nickolas Fortino <nfortino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --emptytree and slots
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:59:04
1 On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Helmut Jarausch <
2 jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > switching to a new machine is good opportunity to do
7 > house-cleaning.
8 >
9 > I wonder what emerge --emptytree does when several versions of some
10 > packages like kde or gcc are installed (in different slots).
11 > The entry in the 'world' file does not contain the slot info.
12 >
13 > Is there any danger it will leave my machine with only one version
14 > of each package?
15 >
16 > Many thanks for your help,
17 > Helmut.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Helmut Jarausch
21 >
22 > Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
23 > RWTH - Aachen University
24 > D 52056 Aachen, Germany
27 emerge -e world will re-emerge every package which is a dependency of
28 packages in your world file. It won't, however, do housecleaning of packages
29 in separate slots which are not used. To do that:
30
31 #usually required to make the next step happy
32 emerge -uDN world
33 emerge -p --depclean
34
35 Make sure you have the -p option, and sanity check the output of --depclean.
36 It's almost always correct, but only almost. See man emerge for more
37 information on other useful things the --depclean can do (in particular, it
38 does what most people seem to think 'equery depends' does).
39
40 Nick