From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Hardened again
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 15:13:42
1 Hello list,
2
3 The recent discussion of hardening Gentoo prompted me to have a go at
4 hardening this workstation. I followed the wiki[1] but when I got to emerge
5 -e world I got scores of slot conflicts, maybe hundreds. So I backed off and
6 restored the original system.
7
8 Now I'm tackling a smaller box, following the same wiki, for which this
9 machine is a compile host with a chroot containing the client's NFS-exported
10 $PORTDIR. I have a question.
11
12 The chroot and everything in it uses the host's kernel, which is not
13 hardened. If I emerge -e world in the chroot, can I then use the resulting
14 packages to install on the client? I suspect there will be subtle differences
15 (or not so subtle) that prevent me from doing this.
16
17 That would be a pity, because recompiling everything on the client, a quad-
18 core Celeron N3150 at 1.8GHz, is likely to take a day or two.
19
20 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened_Gentoo
23 Regards
24 Peter