From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo: Grub, alternate GNU/Linux system on another partition
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 20:26:23
1 I'm giving Gentoo another try, having been using Ubuntu for quite a while,
2 and more recently Mint. I would like to be able to access Mint until the
3 Gentoo system is working as I'd like it.
4
5 I have gotten through the install, for the most part, up to grub. I can
6 see how to edit the grub.conf file for my Gentoo partition. However, it
7 isn't clear to me from the examples how to write a grub.conf entry for
8 Mint's root (/) partition, on /dev/sda8. I am asking for advice on writing
9 the grub.conf file.
10
11 Here are the various partitions involved:
12
13 Gentoo:
14 /boot /dev/sda1
15 / /dev/sda2
16
17 Mint (/boot is not separate)
18 / /dev/sda8
19
20 The Mint kernel is using an initramfs, while I have manually configured the
21 kernel on Gentoo, at least for now.
22
23 Grub 2 is not transparent to me. The kernel is:
24
25 /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-13-generic
26
27 the initrd-img file is:
28
29 /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-13-generic
30
31 My grub.conf file for gentoo would look like this:
32
33 ###########
34 default 0
35 timeout 30
36 #splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
39 title Gentoo Original
40 root (hd0,0)
41 kernel /boot/kernel-3.0.6-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/sda2
45 I have a few other questions of a more or less minor nature. Perhaps
46 better to ask them separately.
47
48 Alan Davis