From: Michael Hampicke <mgehampicke@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:19:28
1 Howdy gentooers,
2
3 I am looking for a filesystem that perfomes well for a cache directory.
4 Here's some data on that dir:
5 - cache for prescaled images files + metadata files
6 - nested directory structure ( 20/2022/202231/*files* )
7 - about 20GB
8 - 100.000 directories
9 - about 2 million files
10
11 The system has 2x Intel Xon Quad-cores (Nehalem), 16GB of RAM and two
12 10.000rpm hard drives running a RAID1.
13
14 Up until now I was using ext4 with noatime, but I am not happy with it's
15 performence. Finding and deleting old files with 'find' is incredible slow,
16 so I am looking for a filesystem that performs better. First candiate that
17 came to mind was reiserfs, but last time I tried it, it became slower over
18 time (fragmentation?).
19 Currently I am running a test with btrfs and so far I am quiet happy with
20 it as it is much faster in my use case.
21
22 Do you guys have any other suggestions? How about JFS? I used that on my
23 old NAS box because of it's low cpu usage. Should I give reiser4 a try, or
24 better leave it be given Hans Reiser's current status?
25
26 Thx in advance,
27 Mike