From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] file sorting in nautilus
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 06:23:53
1 Hi all,
2
3 recently I borrowed (and will probably soon buy a related model) a JVC
4 "HD" HD video camera. (The first "HD" is for high def!).
5
6 Anyway, the great feature is it records on a 40Gb hard disk, but the
7 annoying thing is the video files are named in hex:
8 MOV001
9 MOV002
10 MOV003
11 ...
12 MOV009
13 MOV00A
14 MOV00B
15 ...
16 MOV00F
17 MOV010
18
19 and so on. But when nautilus displays the files, it decides to do it
20 "cleverly", and sorts all the 001 to 009, 010 to 019, etc. files _after_
21 all the 00A to 00F, 01A to 01F files, so I end up with this:
22
23 MOV00A
24 MOV00B
25 ...
26 MOV00F
27 MOV01A
28 ...
29 MOV001
30 MOV002
31 MOV003
32 ...
33 MOV009
34 MOV010
35 MOV011
36 ...
37
38 which is in completely the wrong order, so trying to categorise / edit
39 the files becomes a pain, as the more files I have, the further out of
40 place they get! `ls` doesn't sort it like nautilus - it does what I
41 expect and puts it in the right order.
42
43 so in short, is there any way around this? Can I tell nautilus to stop
44 being "clever"? I had a look in the options, but I can't find it.
45 (There's always `emerge -C gnome; emerge kde` but I don't know if that
46 will fix everything ;)
47
48 TIA,
52 Gomme's Laws:
53 (1) A backscratcher will always find new itches.
54 (2) Time accelerates.
55 (3) The weather at home improves as soon as you go away.
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list