From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 15:16:45
1 On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 2:34 AM, Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:02:49 +0000 (UTC) Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> I prefer Gentoo over Ubuntu for a host of other reasons, but switching
7 >>> from Ubuntu to Gentoo just to get a different desktop seems like
8 >>> overkill.
9 >>
10 >> Strange enough but according to the information from the DistroWatch.com
11 >> Ubuntu lost a lot of users and its status of the most popular Linux
12 >> distribution after switching from Gnome2 to Unity in its 12.04 LTS release.
13 >
14 > It's easy for Distrowatch to claim something that's unprovable.
17 Yeah, you won't find too much Distrowatch love around here. :)
18
19 Their metrics are dubious at best. They don't count Gentoo users who
20 don't visit the distrowatch website, and they probably don't count
21 most of the Gentoo users who DO visit the distrowatch website since we
22 tend to follow upstream and don't whore for metrics in all of our
23 user_agent strings or for ad dollars in our default search engines.
24 This actually has involved turning down money in the past.
27 Rich