From: Tommy Bongaerts <tommy.bongaerts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Virtualbox - Bridged networking not working with broadcom-sta driver
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:47:59
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm running Gentoo on an Acer Travelmate 7750 laptop. This particular
4 laptop has a Broadcom wireless NIC that only works with the
5 proprietary Broadcom wl driver as provided by the broadcom-sta ebuild.
6
7 Wireless by itself works perfectly fine, but when I use virtualbox
8 with the virtual NIC bridged to my wlan0 interface, networking in the
9 guest OS doesn't work properly.
10
11 I have made the following observations:
12
13 * when the guest OS is configured to use DHCP it doesn't get an IP
14 from my DHCP server, but get an autoconfig IP instead
15 * however, I can see the DHCP requests towards my DHCP server in
16 Gentoo when monitoring the wlan0 interface with
17 # tcpdump -i wlan0
18 * when I configure a static IP on the guest OS, I cannot ping from the
19 guest to the Gentoo host or my default gateway, but pinging from the
20 Gentoo host or my gateway to the guest OS works fine
21
22 I manage my wireless NIC through /etc/conf.d/net, using wpa_supplicant
23 with the wext driver. I also tried using networkmanager, but that gave
24 the exact same result.
25
26 Under Ubuntu 12.04 the network bridge between the vbox NIC and the
27 wireless NIC works fine. This is also with the proprietary wl driver,
28 same version and all.
29
30 Anyone an idea what might be wrong with my setup?
31
32 Best,
33 Tommy