From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT router advice] a router capable of detailed logs
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 04:03:36
1 This is way OT, but this list is such a great resource I suspect the
2 advice gotten here will be more to the point. ( I have posted to a
3 network hardware group as well)
4
5 I've bumped my home lan router to a gigabit from the old 10/100
6 (NETGEAR FVS318).
7
8 I made the move for the gigabit lan ports mainly. That is, I was
9 happy with other aspects of the old router. I ended up with a cisco
10 RVS4000 v2.
11
12 The cisco solved the gigabit problem with 4 lan ports and even a
13 gigabit on the Internet port... (which is probably not really doing
14 any thing on a cable connection). And it wasn't hideously
15 expensive ($112.91).
16
17 I could have solved the problem with gigabit switches behind the
18 router for lan usage, just as well, and may go to that yet, and move
19 back to the old NETGEAR router. But somehow I expected the cisco to
20 be something that was `excitingly' new and fun to play with.
21
22 I'm disappointed in the cisco so far as logging is concerned.
23
24 The logs give only bare information like this:
25
26 Mar 10 10:24:21 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] TCP Packet - 60.173.11.56 --> 98.217.231.32
27 Mar 10 10:24:21 - [Firewall Log-PORT SCAN] TCP Packet - 60.173.11.56 --> 98.217.231.32
28 [...]
29
30 No mention of which port is involved. Not only on port scans but
31 ports are never reported. And of course if you wanted to pursue any
32 of it by way of google, you'd need the port number.
33
34 The Old Netgear sent logs like this (wrapped for mail):
35
36 Sat, 2007-07-28 12:00:11 - TCP packet - Source: 161.170.244.20 -
37 Destination: 70.131.83.195 - [Invalid sequence number received with
38 Reset, dropping packet Src 443 Dst 1385 from WAN]
39
40 ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
41
42 I went for the cisco instead of a newer `gigabit' NETGEAR after seeing
43 several bad reviews about them. And I just assumed the cisco would
44 have as good or better other features.
45
46 Another little problem is that the Cicso had reached its end of life
47 and was reported as such by cisco, well before I bought it. But of
48 course, retailers (not cisco) don't bother to give that kind of info,
49 but the result is that a kind of blackball list that was part of the
50 deal is no longer kept up to date.
51
52 So, cutting to the chase; can anyone recommend from actual use, a home
53 lan router that has gigabit lan ports and very configurable/
54 informative logging options?
55
56 ps - I'm not interested in running an old linux or openbsd, machine as
57 router. Having a silent cool router the size and weight of a medium
58 book is too appealing.