From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] More BOINC
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:43:26
1 (Starting a new thread since this is a different subject.)
2
3 Okay, I know I'm being hard-headed about this, but I run a pure 64-bit
4 system. I think the only 32-bit application I run right now is OO.o and
5 I'm gonna drop that sucka as soon as koffice can render the WinWord forms
6 I have to use for work. I suck it up and don't watch things that need the
7 win32codecs or the binary flash package. I don't intend to change this
8 anytime soon. I also don't want to have to manage a 32-bit gentoo chroot.
9 Gentoo isn't a lot of work, and compiles go quickly on my system, but I
10 don't need the extra distraction. I'm thinking of installing
11 debian/sarge-ix86 in a chroot, but that's a post for a different mailing
12 list.
13
14 Anyway, I wasn't too surprised when it turned out that all 5 of the BOINC
15 projects I was interested in didn't have a binary available for
16 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu. SETI@Home (actually the one I'm least interested in)
17 does provide a x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, but that doesn't get delivered to
18 my BOINC client. :( Does anyone here have a list of BOINC projects that
19 provide a x86_64-pc-linux-gnu application? I have a rather large number
20 of spare cycles that I'm sure can be put to good use. :)
21
22 Finally, big props to the SETI@Home project for open-sourcing their
23 application and double props to the gentoo developers that provide a
24 really nice ebuild for that epplication that even handles generating and
25 installing the app_info.xml.
28 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
29 bss03@××××××××××.com
30 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy