From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bug in run-crons?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 20:19:12
1 On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 2:07 PM Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Am Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 01:41:33PM -0500 schrieb Rich Freeman:
4 > > On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 1:21 PM Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > >
7 > > I don't use this, but I believe there should be an hourly crontab
8 > > entry that deletes the cron.hourly file, which would mean it gets run
9 > > on the next 10min cycle (or maybe sooner - I'm not sure if those jobs
10 > > are run in parallel or serial).
11 >
12 > The check that I mentioned above is actually the deletion which you mention:
13 > run-crons looks for the state file for the given interval and - if it is old
14 > enough - deletes it.
15
16 The check I'm talking about isn't in run-crons at all. It is in
17 /etc/crontab. It doesn't look at the age of the file and
18 unconditionally deletes it every hour:
19 59 * * * * rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly
22 Rich