From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 01:13:26
1 Hello,
2
3 On Fri, 11 May 2012, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >On Thu, 10 May 2012 17:53:27 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
5 >> On my HDDs, I cannot disable APM but I can disable spindown by
6 >> changing the power-saving level to 254. I have a script in
7 >> /etc/local.d/ which calls:
8 >
9 >You don't need a script, add the options you need to /etc/conf.d/hdparm
10 >and add hdparm to the default runlevel.
11 >
12 >> hdparm -B 254 /dev/sd[abcdef]
13 >
14 >That doesn't work with my WD WD20EARX drives, which just report APM
15 >disabled when I run it.
16
17 Oh boy, we did get confused in this thread, did we?
18
19 RTFM hdparm.
20
21 a) Disk APM has usually only 3 settings, and only controls the
22 "agressiveness" or the speed of how seeks are done, i.e. how fast
23 the head moves seeking from track to track.
24 0-127 slow
25 128-254 fast
26 255 default
27 At least some manufacturers disable this (IIRC e.g. Seagate,
28 lock it to "slow" on the "green" disks and fast on enterprise.
29
30 b) spindown is a totally unrelated feature, which is can be set by
31 using 'hdparm -S'. I have about 20 disks in two boxen, one of them
32 a WD 20xxEARS, and _NONE_ spin down (until shutdown).
33
34 Have a look into your /etc/pm-profiler/{YOUR_PROFILE} (not sure if
35 that's gentoo standard, I only have a very minimal gentoo
36 installed). I've e.g. copied the "Balanced Low Latency" profile but
37 set
38 SATA_ALPM="max_performance"
39 In the "powersaving" you get
40 SATA_ALPM="min_power"
41 which sets (via hdparm -S) the disks to spindown after whatever
42 seconds (20s? I don't know).
43
44 Anyway, there is some stuff setting disk-spindown timeouts. So, choose
45 and/or adjust pm/upower config and/or set spindown time via 'hdparm
46 -S', with pm-profiler, upower, init-script, whatever.
47
48 BTW: 'hdparm -S 0' disables spindown.
49
50 HTH,
51 -dnh, with a seriously outdated gentoo installed only in parallel, but
52 I have a lot of disks and know hdparm a bit ;)
55 When the SysAdmin answers the phone politely, say "sorry", hang up and
56 run awaaaaay!
57 Informal advice to users at Karolinska Institutet, 1993-1994