From: David Mallwitz <dave@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - SSL certificate authorities
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:58:23
1 Antoine wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > We are going to set up ssl on a webserver at work and I guess that means
4 > we need a certificate... does anyone have any useful alternatives to
5 > Verisign? Are they really worth the name?
6 > We are not going to be doing any monetary transactions but our clients
7 > are very security conscious (who isn't!) and I have no experience in
8 > these matters. I am certain the boss will want verisign, as he buys a
9 > lot of stuff just for the name but if I can offer him a comparable
10 > alternative at a fraction of the cost he may go for it.
11 > Cheers
12 > Antoine
13
14 I prefer Geotrust (http://www.geotrust.com/) to Verisign for third party
15 signed certificates. Remember that your web server must be properly
16 configured (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_howto.html) in
17 order to offer any real security.
18
19 Best,