From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [way OT] Authenticating in a wireless home network
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 06:57:15
1 On Monday 25 Feb 2013 03:00:56 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On 02/24/2013 09:49 PM, walt wrote:
3 > > I've been connecting my google nexus 7 tablet to my wireless router
4 > > using the standard ssid/password method until last week, when I found
5 > > that my router will allow wireless connections based on the tablet's
6 > > MAC address.
7 > >
8 > > What I don't know is whether the MAC-address authentication method
9 > > will cause the wireless router to skip the password authentication
10 > > entirely and accept the MAC address as 100% sole proof of identity.
11 >
12 > Not unless there's something amazingly broken with it. And by that I
13 > mean it would be newsworthy; the kind of thing Slashdot would jump on
14 > before it sat in their queue five minutes.
15 >
16 > MAC filtering, as it's called, is only trivially more secure than the
17 > network would be without it. It adds just enough inconvenience that it's
18 > unlikely for anyone to get on your network without directed attention or
19 > prior planning for such circumstances.
20 >
21 > > I've heard that MAC address spoofing is easy given the right skills,
22 > > so I don't know if relying solely on MAC address for authentication
23 > > is asking for trouble, or not.
24 > >
25 > > Your opinions are most welcome, the more paranoid the better :)
26 >
27 > WPA-Enterprise is the most effective supported-by-default way to lock
28 > down access to your wireless network...but it requires you to have a
29 > RADIUS server on your network for your AP to check credentials against.
30 > Every user of your network gets their own username and password, which
31 > you configure on whatever authentication server the RADIUS server uses
32 > as a back-end.
33 >
34 > If that sounded confusing to you, it's probably far, far, far more than
35 > you need.
36 >
37 > Otherwise, WPA2-Personal is very good; it's a shared-key authentication
38 > mechanism combined with better encryption and encryption application, as
39 > well as key rotation. Chances are, it's what you're already using.
40
41 Preshared key (PSK) with WPA2 CCMP/AES is probably all you need for a home
42 network and you can throw MAC ACL in just for laughs (because as Michael said,
43 that's all it's worth):
44
45 ifconfig ath0 hw eth XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
48 The WPA2 keys can be (air)cracked with dictionary files and the like, but if
49 you have some ridiculously long key, and a changed SSID from the router's
50 default (it is used as salt in calculating the key and many a rainbow table
51 are built with default SSIDs) it can be infeasibly difficult to crack it. If
52 you are really paranoid, then using SSL certificates instead of PSKs would
53 make things even more secure. Changing your key/certificates once a month
54 would make it very improbable to have your wireless cracked.
55
56 Of course you could start covering the inside of your walls with aluminium
57 foil or moving somewhere remote and digging a moat all around your castle, but
58 I'm not sure your connection is that desirable to warrant it. :-))
59 --
60 Regards,
61 Mick