From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:55:28
1 Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > I have a daily cron job containing:
3 > ===
4 > emerge --sync && \
5 > emerge -DuNf world && \
6 > glsa-check -t all 2>&1 | mail -s "GLSA report" root
7 > ===
8 >
9 > In other words it syncs the tree, fetches all the new packages and then
10 > checks for security vulnerabilities. If glsa-chack says "This system is
11 > not affected by any of the listed GLSAs" I update when I have the time
12 > (mostly in the weekends), otherwise I update ASAP.
16 In addition to the above, my cron job also syncs my overlays, updates
17 eix database,
18 checks dependencies, and verifies nvidia driver was not updated behind
19 my back :-)
20
21 echo "Syncing overlays..."
22 /usr/bin/svn cleanup /usr/portage/local/layman/xeffects
23 layman -S
24
25 echo "Running update-eix..."
26 update-eix --quiet
27
28 echo "Running revdep-rebuild"
29 revdep-rebuild --ignore --pretend --no-color
30 rm -f /.revdep-rebuild.*
31
32 echo "show openGL selection"
33 eselect --no-color opengl list
36 So my daily routine is to check the email from cron, then as long as nothing
37 big needs to be updated, run emerge -uDNav where I examine the use flags,
38 particularly the not selected ones. For big updates like kde and gcc, I
39 wait
40 for the weekend then check for any updating issues (b.g.o., forums, this
41 list).
42
43 HTH,
44 Roy