From: Wolfgang Liebich <wolfgang.liebich@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Hard lockups on new computer with gentoo live cd 2008.0-r1
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:02:26
1 Hi,
2 I've bought a new private computer because my old machine is nearly 10
3 years old already and deserves a little rest now.
4 I've bought it without an OS, and tried some linux install CDs and dvd's
5 I have. With some worrying results:
6 - One installDC stopped cold when booting --- nothing worked anymore, no
7 ctrl+alt+del, no alt+sysrq, no power off button --- needed a hard reset
8 with the true power off button.
9 - A gentoo live DVD I got with a computer magazine showed similar
10 behaviour when I (foolishly) tried to start evmsn: the program started
11 scanning for disks and locked up HARD:
12 -- no ctrl+alt+backspace, no ctrl+alt+del, no at+sysrq+b, no power off
13 button. Needed to poweroff the machine.
14
15 The computer is an intel system, with a DQ35JO motherboard, two SATA HDs
16 (I want to setup a raid system), and a PATA DVD drive (no internal DVD
17 writer, I have an external one already).
18
19 I found pointers to some troubles with this motherboard - is this a
20 problem for the install-CD, or should I only better not use evms?
21
22 - Worried in Vienna
23 -- Wolfgang Liebich