From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: On what to base a custom live CD?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 15:57:47
1 On 2010-11-25, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > I'd suggest SystemRescueCD.
4
5 That was my first thought, but it's not going to
6
7 > It's upgraded quite often (currently using kernel 2.6.35-x) has a
8 > ready to go X11 environment and most useful, it's an up-to-date
9 > Gentoo system, so one immediately knows where to look if there are
10 > any problems. And it has a well documented (easy) procedure for
11 > extending it.
12
13 But, I'm going to have to speed up the boot time considerably:
14
15 >> I thought about using a customized systemrescuecd, but that takes
16 >> ages to boot (almost 5 minutes). This CD is intended as something a
17 >> customer can run to do a quick hardware test, and making them sit
18 >> there for 5 minutes to see a 5-second test just isn't going to fly.
19
20 The current version of the liveCD I'm attempting to replace boots in
21 about 10 seconds on the same machine that takes 5 minutes to boot
22 systemrescue CD. Slowing the boot time that much isn't going to be
23 acceptable. I'm trying to figure out ways to speed up systemrescuecd.
24
25 I may ditch the squashfs stuff entirely and run from the initrd
26 filesystem. It looks like that should save a minute or two.
27
28 After that I'm going to try disabling Networking and most block device
29 (IDE, PATA, floppy, SCSI, and SATA) support.
32 Grant