From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rhythmbox plays silently
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:16:10
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:39:09 +0000 (UTC), Michael Schmarck wrote:
4 >
5 >> > You have a problem to which you do not know the solution, so how are
6 >> > you supposed to know what is important and what is not?
7 >>
8 >> As it seems, I knew what was not important. Just have a look at the
9 >> real root cause of the problem.
10 >
11 > Isn't hindsight wonderful? You now know what is relevant to the solution
12 > of a problem you did not understand at the time.
13
14 That's one way to view this. Another way to view this, would be
15 that I had good knowledge of the problem and only posted what
16 really was needed.
17
18 >> > Of course, none of this really matters as people will be hesitant to
19 >> > offer any advice in future, no matter how complete your post, because
20 >> > you have demonstrated a complete lack of civility and respect for
21 >> > those that you expect to help you.
22 >>
23 >> Oh, that's wrong. Alan very much demonstrated that he did not want to
24 >> help. Why else would he have posted his snide comment? And if you look
25 >> carefully, you'll see that I even treated him respectfully, when he
26 >> tried to be helpful. Care to point out where I showed a "complete lack
27 >> of civilty"? And care to point out the civilty in what Alan posted in
28 >> his (maybe unintended) flamebait?
29 >
30 > This has nothing to do with Alan,
31
32 Oh, no? It wasn't Alan who started this "flame" sub-thread? I guess I
33 must be reading a different thread then. Just to make that clear -
34 I'm *NOT* talking about the subthread titled "Gnome: No sound - "No
35 volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found"".
36
37 > (who, incidentally, has demonstrated
38 > his knowledge and willingness to help many times over)
39
40 No argument there. So you think that this is an excuse for something?
41
42 > ad everything to
43 > do with your attitude.
44
45 My attitude? Well, maybe. But I rather think it has everything
46 to do with Alan, who made a bad comment. It (maybe) was my mistake
47 to respond to the troll. Let's not confuse things here, please.
48 It was NOT me who started the fight. If Alan would not have posted
49 what's in <200803252159.41035.alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>, there would
50 be no argument at all.
51
52 Reg. my attitude: You're saying that it's no good from me, when
53 I treat people respectfully, just like I treated Alan in the other
54 "half" of the thread? I should not have done this? Guess I've got
55 to learn something here - I'll try to change that in the future.
56
57 > So you found his post unhelpful,
58
59 You disagree? You think that he was helpful with his KDE comment?
60
61 > well get over it.
62
63 I am.
64
65 > Either ignore the post
66
67 That's a bit late now, isn't it?
68
69 > or respond by expressing your views without insult.
70 >
71 > You have done yourself no favours.
76 Michael
79 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list