From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Multilib ABI specific CPU use flags?
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 09:30:05
1 On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 12:26:17AM +0000, Jonathan Yong wrote:
2 > I'm open to fixing ebuild packages by myself in my own overlay, though I
3 > prefer not to due to eventual bit rot. Any hints on how to mask CPU USE
4 > flags based on multilib arch in the .ebuild file itself?
5
6 I suppose you could detect whether a CPU_FLAG is enabled for a x86_32 multilib,
7 although be wary that `MULTILIB_ABI_FLAG` is only exported for some multilib
8 functions, such as `multilib_src_configure` [1]:
9
10 if [[ ${MULTILIB_ABI_FLAG} == abi_x86_32 ]] && use cpu_flags_x86_avx2;
11 then
12 ewarn "Disabling AVX2 extensions for 32-bit build."
13 # circumvention measures
14 fi
15
16 I'm not sure of the best way to achieve the "circumvention measures", hence the
17 comment. You could run this conditional after GLOBALCMAKEARGS has been set,
18 omitting the CPU_BASELINE definition in the main block [2], or you could sed
19 through the USE flags and disable `cpu_flags_x86_avx2` there. You're probably
20 better asking on IRC for the best-practice way to achieve this.
21
22 As mentioned in the relevant bug report, this is not an issue caused by the
23 ebuild, so although this might prove to be a temporary fix, it will hopefully be
24 resolved by upstream very soon. Just be patient. ;-)
25
26 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Multilib/multilib-build#MULTILIB_ABI_FLAG
27 [2] https://github.com/opencv/opencv/wiki/CPU-optimizations-build-options#customizing-cmake-options
28 [3] https://bugs.gentoo.org/747163#c15