From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Makeing /dev/rtc1 accessible as soon as possible - how?
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:50:29
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [13-08-25 13:44]:
2 > On Sunday 25 Aug 2013 11:35:29 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au> [13-08-25 12:04]:
4 > > > On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 06:04:13 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > > > > Hi,
6 > > > >
7 > > > > There are two RTCs in my system:
8 > > > > /dev/rtc0 and /dev/rtc1
9 > > > >
10 > > > > rtc0 is not powered by a battery and forgets time/date
11 > > > > with system shutdown and rtc1 is a I2C-rtc (DS3231) which
12 > > > > is powered by a battery. It is extremly accurate in comparison
13 > > > > with rtc0.
14 > > > >
15 > > > > rtc0 is accessible with system boot - rtc1 is not (current state).
16 > > >
17 > > > I know this might be obvious, but just in case:
18 > > >
19 > > > Have you checked to see if the dud RTC can be disabled in the BIOS?
20 > > >
21 > > > Or completely remove its drivers from the kernel?
22 > >
23 > > Hi Paul,
24 > >
25 > > I cannot remove rtc0 since it is integrated into the CPU. I cannot
26 > > remove the CPU for various reasons... ;)
27 > >
28 > > I put the script (see previous mail) into /etc/init.d and call it now
29 > > at sysinit times. This works so far...but I still have entries in /sys
30 > > and /proc which show 1.1.1970.
31 > >
32 > > Is there any way to get rid of the need to use "echo..bla..bla" into
33 > > files of the sysfs but to give the kernel the needed informations
34 > > directly, so rtc1 is available to the kernel...?
35 >
36 > I noticed you mentioned rtc0 is not powered by a battery, but that's what the
37 > CMOS battery does. I'm curious why you don't add a new CMOS battery to your
38 > MoBo?
39 > --
40 > Regards,
41 > Mick
42
43 Hi Mick,
44
45 this "MoBo" has neither a BIOS and therefore no BIOS battery.
46 I added the DS3231 rtc myself to get a battery buffered rtc.
47
48 Best regards,
49 mcc