From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: chrome and everything
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 16:24:11
1 On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 06:10:02PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 13:12 on Friday 03 June 2011, Indi did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > > On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 09:20:01AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > > > Compare how Google goes about doing things with how Adobe does it.
7 > > >
8 > > > The Google Chromium team appears to take security seriously and are open
9 > > > and up-front about what they do.
10 > > >
11 > > > Adobe likes to stonewall on issues and create an aura of how sekrit stuff
12 > > > is.
13 > > >
14 > > > Which one inspires confidence in fellow geeks?
15 > >
16 > > Neither. Adobe is utterly incompetent and apathetic, google is evil
17 > > and wants to sell ad space for h3rb41 v14gr4 in your brain.
18 > >
19 > > Flash is a necessary evil for a lot of us, chrome(ium) is not.
20 >
21 > I think of it more a case of there being no viable alternative to Flash[1]
22 > whereas Chrom{e,ium} is just one more browser amongst many.
23 >
24 > I use Flash myself even though I hate the way it performs.
25 >
26 > [1] There are flash alternatives, but by and large only support out of date
27 > features, so they are not really "viable".
30 Agreed. I do wish we'd get something open and reasonably well coded to replace
31 flash, but I think perhaps the biggest reason for the success of flash
32 is its sneakiness in tracking users and ability to enforce DRM. Big Business
33 just loves that sort of thing.
36 caveat utilitor