From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Why RAID1?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:31:14
1 On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:24:27 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 > I'm about to buy a couple Samsung Spinpoint F1 hard drives and I was
4 > planning on setting them up in a RAID0 array. Everyone seems to love
5 > RAID1 though, and I'm a little confused as to why. Don't daily
6 > backups secure 99% of the data that RAID1 does?
7
8 No. If you backup runs in the early hours on a cron script and your drive
9 fails at 6pm, not only have you lost a full day's work, but you'll spend
10 the rest of the evening restoring your backups to a new drive. The next
11 day you'll be tired and bleary-eyed, and still a day behind. With RAID1
12 (or 5), you just plug in another drive. RAID should not be considered an
13 alternative to backups, but a separate layer of data security.
14
15 > They even protect in
16 > the event of theft or fire which RAID1 doesn't.
17
18 Which is why you still need offsite backups.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 A closed mouth gathers no foot.