From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 20:03:12
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Sunday 04 Jan 2015 19:53:37 lee wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I'm trying to use the CapsLock key as control key. With 'setxkbmap
7 >> -option ctrl:nocaps' that works --- until I use 'xmodmap' to load my
8 >> keymap. Once the keymap is loaded, the CapsLock key again works as
9 >> CapsLock and not as control.
10 >>
11 >> This worked fine with other distributions. Is there anything special to
12 >> Gentoo which breaks this?
15 >> Section "InputClass"
16 >> Identifier "keyboard-all"
17 >> Driver "evdev"
18 >> Option "XkbLayout" "de"
19 >> Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
20 >> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
21 >> Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
22 >> MatchIsKeyboard "on"
23 >> EndSection
24 >
25 > What happens if you remove "ctrl:nocaps" above?
26
27 It doesn't really seem to make a difference.
28
29 >> ~/.xinitrc:
30 >> [...]
31 >> setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps
32 >> xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
33 >> [...]
36 >> ~/.Xmodmap:
37 >> [...]
38 >> keycode 37 = Control_L NoSymbol Control_L
39 >> [...]
40 >
41 > and why do you need to specify this in .Xmodap?
42
43 Because sometimes it doesn't work at all when I don't and because I put
44 that there a long time ago and forgot about it. My ~/.xinitrc is about
45 20 years old and has been modified as needed over time.
46
47 I can only say it worked fine with Fedora and used to work with Debian.
48 Since someone keeps changing all the time how to configure your
49 keyboard, and since different distributions might use different ways of
50 doing it, I really don't know anymore how to configure a keybord ---
51 which should be simple and easy to begin with as it used to be. I
52 merely want my keyboard to work ...
56 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
57 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.