From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x86 setup-script
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 02:41:39
1 On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 02:14 +0100, Andy Stern wrote:
2 > I had the idea to write a setup-script for a x86-installation,
3 > thats what i got:
4 >
5 > www.trustop.org/gensetup/
6 >
7 > what do you think
8
9 I don't know if one exists or not, because I haven't installed gentoo
10 lately (only updated it for the last few years :)
11
12 I had a look at your script - you've named it .tar.gz, but it's only a
13 tar! I think you forgot to gzip it!
14
15 Doing a quick google search, I found
16 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/ and there is also
17 another graphical installer someone was working on, but I can't remember
18 where.
19
20 >From the gentoo installer page:
21 Along with the GTK frontend, there is also a dialog-based frontend. This
22 is useful for doing remote installs via SSH. gli-dialog also supports
23 some things that the GTK frontend doesn't and vice versa...
24
25 So I would ask: What is the purpose of your script? Do you want it to
26 eventually be a great solve-all text installer for beginner and expert?
27 Or just a simple install?
28
29 > should i continue or is the gentoo-setup to complex for such a script?
30
31 Definately continue - if only to further your understanding of bash /
32 gentoo / installing. Even if the only purpose it to provide another
33 option to the gentoo installer - that's good enough because diversity is
34 great!
35
36 I definately don't think gentoo setup is too complex for a script. If
37 you can do it by hand, you can do it in a script :) so go for it!
38
39 [PS - you seem to have made this post by replying to a different thread
40 in the mailing list - not everybody will see it, as some people collapse
41 or ignore threads they're not interested in]
42
43 HTH,
47 ## Signoff: insurgent (razzin' frazzin' motherfu... stupid directx...)
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list