From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where to set language with lightdm
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 17:41:55
1 Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 > Hey there,
3 > I've been having some problems with GDM recently (freeze after reboot,
4 > freeze after suspend) so I thought I'd give lightdm a shot.
5 > So far everything works great, but I cannot set a language for a lightdm
6 > session.
7 >
8 > My system locale is set to en_US.utf8 because when working with command
9 > line tools I prefere if they talk english to me.
10 > But I like my Desktop (everything running under X) to be in german. With
11 > GDM that was no problem: just set the system locale to english and
12 > create a .dmrc file in the home directory where you set
13 > 'Language=de_DE.UTF-8'
14 >
15 > Lightdm ignores that file. After some google foo I found that if you
16 > edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and set
17 > 'show-language-selector=true' you can choose a language before logging
18 > in (like with GDM) - however, I can choose what i wan't, my Desktop is
19 > still in english.
20 >
21 > So far it seems that nothing works, except setting the system's default
22 > locale to german in /etc/env.d/02locale - but that's not what I want.
23 >
24 > Do you have any thoughts?
27 Not directly related to your question, but perhaps related to your problem:
28
29 Did you rebuild all of the xf86 drivers and modules after updating xorg
30 from 1.10 to 1.11? I didn't run into a problem until xscreensaver kicked in.