From: Dan Johansson <dan@×××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Peeve - finding kernel config options
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:25:02
1 On 26.02.2014 22:24, Poison BL. wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Hello all,
4 >>
5 >> This is for those of use who to choose to roll our kernels by hand...
6 >>
7 >> So, am I missing something?
8 >>
9 >> Given the most recent gentoo news item:
10 >>
11 >>> # eselect news read 10
12 >>> 2014-02-25-udev-upgrade
13 >>> Title Upgrade to >=sys-fs/udev-210
14 >>> Author Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
15 >>> Posted 2014-02-25
16 >>> Revision 1
17 >>>
18 >>> The options CONFIG_FHANDLE and CONFIG_NET are now required in the kernel.
21 >> Whenever kernel config options are provided like this, it would be nice if
22 >> time was taken to provide the path to where they are found.
23 >>
24 >> I had to find the first one (CONFIG_FHANDLE) by:
25 >>
26 >> 1. grepping .config, seeing it wasn't enabled,
27 >> 2. running make menuconfig and searching for 'FHANDLE',
28 >> 3. seeing it is located in 'General setup',
29 >> 4. scouring the General setup options, finding no 'FHANLDE' anywhere,
30 >> 5. finding something in all lowercase named 'open by fhanlde syscalls',
31 >> 6. enabling this option, saving the modified config,
32 >> 7. confirming it is now enabled by grepping .config again
33 >>
34 >> Sheesh. Really?
35 >>
36 >> Would be nice if the news item had something like
37 >> CONFIG_FHANDLE (General setup > 'open by fhandle syscalls')
38 >> and
39 >> CONFIG_NET (still don't know which one this is??)
40 >>
41 >> Wackadoo...
44 > When I search FHANDLE in menuconfig I get:
45 >
46 > │ Symbol: FHANDLE [=y]
47 > │ Type : boolean
48 > │ Prompt: open by fhandle syscalls
49 > │ Location:
50 > │ (1) -> General setup
51 > │ Defined at init/Kconfig:235
52 > │ Selects: EXPORTFS [=y]
53 > │ Selected by: GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SYSTEMD [=y] && GENTOO_LINUX [=y]
54 > && GENTOO_LINUX_UDEV [=y]
55 >
56 > This clearly states that the prompt you're looking for is a line that
57 > says "open by fhandle syscalls" under "General setup"
58 >
59 > Sure, it's not the absolute simplest interface (i.e. it doesn't give a
60 > 'enable this' in the search results) but it does give all the
61 > necessary information about a given option to find it (as well as
62 > dependencies and their current states, etc). The most likely reason
63 > the news item doesn't list the specific "prompt" text (or even the
64 > category) is that, across even sub release versions of the kernel
65 > those are prone to change (and, at times, drastically) while the
66 > actual CONFIG_<name> option tends to be fairly static through time
67 > once it exists (even when superseded by new toys, i.e. older
68 > IDE/ATA/ATAPI options vs newer PATA options).
69
70 But if you press "1" in the example above you will "jump" directly to
71 the menu item. Clue --> (1)
72
73 Regards,
74 --
75 Dan Johansson
77 This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!