From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:33:22
1 On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 13:52:37 +0100 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 12 Apr 2015 12:27:33 Gevisz wrote:
4 > > On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 13:04:40 +0200 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 > > > On 12/04/2015 12:48, Gevisz wrote:
7 > > > > Quite for a long time, while booting my Gentoo system,
8 > > > > I get the following message message:
9 > > > >
10 > > > > "runscript is deprecated; please use openrc-run instead"
11 > > > >
12 > > > > What shall I do to fix this issue accept for reinstallig
13 > > > > my Gentoo system anew?
14 > > >
15 > > > Do nothing.
16 > >
17 > > Thank you for your answer but why that message appear at all, then?
18 > >
19 > > > runscript is the shebang for init scripts for various services,
20 > > > runscript and openrc-run are both provided by openrc.
21 > >
22 > > Sorry, but I do not understand the word "shebang" in this context.
23 >
24 > Some (older) service startup script is starting with a:
25 >
26 > #!/sbin/runscript
27 >
28 > shebang, instead of the openrc equivalent:
29 >
30 > #!/sbin/openrc-run
31 >
32 > If you look in your /etc/init.d/ scripts you will see that there quite a few
33 > that still start with the runscript shebang.
34
35 Yes, you are right. Thank you for explanation.
36
37 > Eventually ebuilds will update their startup scripts to use the openrc syntax,
38 > unless systemd takes over the world and openrc is abandoned.
41 > > > and most important - what effect if any does the problem have?
42 > >
43 > > So far, no noticeable effects accept for the warning message above.
44 > >
45 > > > I can't tell if your system boots normally or if it blows
46 > > > up and eats your kittens.
47 > >
48 > > Shall I wait for that to happen before starting to worry? :)
49 >
50 > No, because after it eats your kittens it will drink your beer.
51
52 It is impossible!
53
54 Because I do not drink beer at all. :)