From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] beep
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 01:32:46
1 On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 12:25:03 AM lee wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > when the pcspkr module (or how it's called; I haven't compiled atm) is
6 > loaded, somehow the built-in speaker is used to sometimes beep. There
7 > also seems to be the option to play this beep via the sound card ---
8 > which usually sounds nicer.
9 >
10 > How is this done? Do I need to load a different module for that, or
11 > does it require to use some sort of additional software?
12
13 If you mean how to configure the kernel for it then just load the right module.
14 I remember seeing a "PC Speaker Emulation" or similar module but I can't find
15 it now so it may be gone.
16
17 Anyways, this only applies to the console (VT). Software just writes the BEL
18 character (0x07) to it's terminal (stdout) to play a beep. You can also open
19 "/dev/console" directly and play this character or use ioctl calls to play
20 sounds with different frequencies and duration but this requires root
21 privileges. Modern desktop terminal emulators will already be using the sound
22 card to play the BEL character. On KDE for example you can choose any sound
23 file to play or just show a notification.
26 Fernando Rodriguez