From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where to find the straight dope conf.d/net?
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:52:10
1 On Saturday 03 Aug 2013 06:52:46 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I was off gentoo for a few mnths... apparently something has changed
3 > in the naming of the network devices.
4 >
5 > So far I've read several accounts of it... but the install handbook
6 > has apparently not been brought up to date.
7 >
8 > Doing a fresh install, and following the contents of the manual
9 > concerning conf.d/net... is not working, of course.
10 >
11 > Renaming the device in /etc/init.d to net.enp0s3 and using that name
12 > in conf.d/net doesn't work either. At least not during boot.
13 >
14 > I can start the network by hand with /etc/init.d/net.enp0s3 start
15 >
16 > No problems there. But what, exactly, is supposed to go in
17 > conf.d/net?
18 >
19 > I've found quite a lot of confusing information on google but not a
20 > solution that works for me.
21 >
22 > If I start the network by hand as above then things like sshd blow up
23 > from trying to restart them again and using the wrong names.
24 >
25 > Can someone point me to concise documentation about how this new setup
26 > is supposed to work?
27
28 In /etc/conf.d/net you should replace the previously named eth0 directives to
29 your new NIC name, e.g. instead of:
30
31 config_eth0="dhcp"
32
33 you will use the new name:
34
35 config_enp0s3="dhcp"
36
37 and so on. For more details on the parameters used look at:
38
39 /usr/share/doc/openrc-0.11.8/net.example.bz2
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature