From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge with --changed-use
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 23:45:25
1 On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:13:31 -0800
2 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/28/2013 11:16 AM, »Q« wrote:
5 > > A new useflag, tinfo, has been added for ncurses. I would have
6 > > expected ncurses not to be rebuilt when I specify --changed-use, but
7 > > portage does want to rebuild it. This isn't causing me any problem,
8 > > but I'd like to understand what's going on. I guess I should note
9 > > that I'm using portage-2.1.11.50 and that
10 >
11 > > I'm one of those hardheads who has USE="-*" in make.conf.
12 >
13 > Ah, a masochist. You're perfect for gentoo ;)
14 >
15 > > I currently have ncurses-5.9-r2 installed with
16 > > USE="cxx gpm static-libs unicode -ada -debug -doc -minimal -profile
17 > > -trace".
18 > >
19 > > $ emerge -pvuD --changed-use @world
20 > >
21 > > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
22 > >
23 > > Calculating dependencies... done!
24 > > [ebuild R ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r2:5 USE="cxx gpm static-libs
25 > > unicode -ada -debug -doc -minimal -profile -tinfo% -trace" 0 kB
26 >
27 > The '%' symbol just means that the tinfo flag was introduced after
28 > your most recent build of ncurses. The '-' symbol means that portage
29 > will rebuild ncurses without tinfo -- exactly like your existing
30 > build of ncurses :) Makes perfect sense if you happen to be a
31 > computer.
32 >
33 > My favorite peeve is when a libreoffice useflag is added for, say,
34 > support for Swahili or Urdu, and now I'm forced to rebuild all of
35 > libreoffice just to re-install libreoffice without support for Urdu
36 > or Swahili. If I were a computer I'd agree immediately with that
37 > reasoning.
38
39 That's exactly what --changed-use is supposed to avoid, as I
40 understand it.
41
42 man emerge puts it this way:
43
44 Unlike --newuse, the --changed-use option does not trigger
45 reinstallation when flags that the user has not enabled are added or
46 removed.