From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Plasma upgrade: Part Deux.
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 04:03:41
1 On 09/20/2016 08:26 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
2 >>
3 >> I've noticed a couple more things. One is after resume from standby
4 >> the plasma taskbar hangs at 100% cpu for 2-3 minutes, during which
5 >> time you can't open the K menu, click on open programs in the task
6 >> bar or start any apps. The tray icons and clock are also frozen. Has
7 >> anyone experienced this? It only does this after resume, it seems to
8 >> be fine otherwise.
9 >
10 > Any chances you're using calendar access in plasma widgets? I'm using
11 > calendars via akonadi-ews, and the clock widget has access to this
12 > (also korgac integrates with the plasma bars and accesses the
13 > calendar). This leads plasma to blocking for about 1 minute after login
14 > or resume - but only due to heavy writes of logs about zoneinfo that
15 > cannot be found. The problem here is that Outlook uses very strange
16 > time zone names (which even seem to change from version to version, I
17 > wonder how MS programmers keep track of it). The solution was to simply
18 > symlink the missing names (which you can extract from the X session
19 > logs and/or journal) to /usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime and now it works
20 > and my calendar events are even at the correct hour (and not shifted to
21 > another time zone). For me, blocking of plasma is now gone or at least
22 > reduced to a very short time.
23
24 Well, I think I might have solved this one for now. I was using the
25 nouveau driver and I was playing a news clip and had no sound and when I
26 clicked on the volume control in the tray my computer hardlocked.
27
28 I was able to ssh in to see that nouveau was crashing constantly trying
29 to do what plasma was asking of it; I have installed the recommended
30 nvidia-drivers version that was mentioned on nvidia's site and now it
31 seems to be okay.
32
33 Six or so months ago I tried both nouveau and nvidia's drivers and they
34 were both crashing plasma every 10-20 seconds.
37 >> Is there a way to speed up alt-tab switching? Often I hit alt-tab
38 >> expecting it to switch to another app but nothing happens. I have to
39 >> hit it two or sometimes even three (!) times to make it switch. This
40 >> is really irritating and slows down my work flow.
41 >
42 > I wonder about this annoying bug, too. As a programmer this is
43 > absolutely irritating as I do a lot of alt+tab between editors, logs,
44 > web browsers, and documentation. :-(
45 >
46 > Something similar happens when switching tasks using the mouse:
47 > Sometimes the first click on a taskbar icon is simply not fully
48 > recognized, it just switches focus to plasma but doesn't switch the
49 > application to front.
50 >
51 > Sometimes I feel like this may be related to having multiple monitors
52 > connected.
53
54 I do not have multiple monitors. I haven't seen the mouse issue yet as
55 when alt+tab isn't working I have to resort to the dang mouse and it
56 always works.
57
58 However, on the plus side, I disabled the compositor effects on the
59 alt-tab switching and so now it works as expected.
60
61 I've attached a small screenshot, make sure what I've circled in red is
62 NOT checked. It's under system settings -> window management -> task
63 switcher.
64
65 Dan

Disable task switch effects.png image/png