From: Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync for backup, can anybody help
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:40:33
1 On Friday 28 December 2007, Roman Zilka wrote:
2 > > symlink
3 > > "/mnt/external/OneFileSystemBackup/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libopcod
4 > >es.so" -> "/usr/lib32/binutils/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.18/libopcodes.so"
5 > > failed: Operation not permitted (1)
6 >
7 > This is most likely caused by the FAT filesystem on the target device.
8 > Just like a lot of other errors, probably. Symlinks do not exist on a
9 > regular FAT.
10 >
11 > Copying data from a unix/linux-ish filesystem to a FAT-based filesystem
12 > is impossible without losing something (special files like symlinks,
13 > sockets, devices etc., file ownership info and more). Maybe there are
14 > some modern FAT variations capable of storing all this linux-specific
15 > data (thinking of umsdos), but I dare doubt that's the case of your
16 > backup drive.
17 >
18 > If you're thinking of maybe recovering some important system files from
19 > this backup sometime, change the backup drive's filesystem to something
20 > more capable (the aforementioned ext2, for instance).
21 >
22 > -rz
23
24 Thanks Roman,
25 I had come to that conclusion so I have formated my external usb disc with
26 ext3 and am running the backup now. So far all seems well.
27 Thanks for all who helped me with this problem especially Neil and Roman.
28 Paul
31 This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list